Ultimate guide how to grow lettuce in a pot at home
How to grow lettuce in a pot: Lettuce (Lactuca sativa) is an annual plant of the genus Asteraceae in the daisy family. Lettuce leaves are not only delicious to eat but also has many other benefits. Fresh lettuce can be easily grown in homes or in rooftop tubs. In addition to the cultivation of lettuce and other vegetables in farmland or orchards, there are plenty of opportunities for production in the city. If there is not a single piece of land for vegetable production, then it is very easy to cultivate vegetables on the roof or verandah of the house in large tubs, earthen pots, drums, or one-sided open wooden boxes filled with manure and soil.
Varieties of lettuce
There are different varieties of lettuce. Notable among these are Big Boston, White Boston, Paris White, Grand Baptist, New York-515, Imperial-54, Simpson, King Crown, Queen Crown, Dark, Green, Great Lake.
Nutrition of lettuce
Lettuce is a nutritious leafy vegetable that is rich in sodium, potassium, beta carotene, calories, vitamins A, B-1, B-2, B-3, and C. 100 grams of lettuce contains 15 calories, 26 milligrams of sodium, 194 milligrams of potassium, 2.9 grams of carbohydrates, 1.4 grams of protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, calcium, iron, and magnesium. So it is important to put lettuce in the salad.
Uses of lettuce leaves
Lettuce is used as a fibrous and leafy vegetable. Lettuce is one such vegetable, which is used as a salad with tomatoes, onions, and peppers. As a result, its nutrition remains intact. Lettuce is quite nutritious and increases appetite. Lettuce leaves are mostly used as a curry. It is also used in fast food, salads or cooking. Lettuce leaves can be eaten raw.
Nutritional benefits of lettuce leaves
- Lettuce is a fibrous vegetable and is easily digested. It contains very little cholesterol and is good for the heart.
- You can eat lettuce every day in salads to get rid of colds, sneezing, cough, phlegm, asthma, and lung infections.
- Raw or fried lettuce salad cleanses the blood, prevents fat from clotting in the veins and sub-veins of the heart. Lettuce leaves are low in calories. Lettuce is very important in controlling the amount of sugar in the blood of diabetic patients. In addition, this leaf works great to lose weight.
- Lettuce is very useful for patients with kidney problems due to reduced urine output.
- Vitamin K increases bone metabolism. Lettuce protects the body from rapid bone loss.
- Lettuce leaves are rich in iron. Lettuce is good food for patients with ammonia or anemia because it helps increase hemoglobin.
- Sodium, Vitamin B-1, B-2, B-3 of this leaf prevents water accumulation in any part of the body.
- Lettuce helps reduce dandruff. Lettuce powder is used in the shampoo. Crushing lettuce on the skin to get rid of sunburn is beneficial for the skin.
- Lettuce leaves contain 95.5 grams of water. It reduces the fat and weight of obese people due to the high amount of water.
- If the skin is cut or torn somewhere, the pain is better if the leaf is crushed and applied on the sore spot.
- Pregnant mothers who eat raw lettuce increase blood levels in both the mother and the baby.
- Lettuce reduces eye infections.
- Regular consumption of lettuce eliminates stomach problems, flatulence, loss of appetite, and acidity.
How to grow lettuce in a pot
In this article, we’ll know how to grow lettuce at home, how to grow romaine lettuce in a pot, how to grow salad bowl lettuce in containers, lettuce how to grow, growing lettuces, lettuce plant, planting lettuce. Let’s go for it.
The soil must be fertile, light, and crumbly for plant growth and vegetable yield. When the water dries, care should be taken not to burst the soil in the tub. If you want to keep the soil loose in the tub, then you have to mix an equal amount of loamy soil and organic manure together. The amount of organic fertilizer should be increased in clay soils. Generally, four teaspoons of TSP fertilizer and 118 grams of mustard oil cake soaked 5/6 days ago can be mixed in each tub of soil. For better results, you can sterilize soil of the pot.
You can read the article on how to sterilize soil
From September to November, seedlings should be prepared from seeds and planted in tubs.
Seeds or seedlings
If seeds are sown in a tub, seedlings will grow in 3-4 days. When 4/5 leaves of the plant sprout, it has to be put in the tub. Lettuce does not require very large tubs.
Seedlings should be planted in the late afternoon. When planting seedlings, the soil at the base of the seedlings should be compacted very lightly so that the soft roots of the seedlings do not break under pressure. After planting, the seedlings should be protected from sun and rain with a lid for 3-4 days and watered at the beginning of the seedlings in the morning and afternoon. Irrigate if necessary and occasionally loosen the soil at the base of the seedlings. You can buy a sapling in a polybag or seeds from different nurseries.
If the root rot, the tip of the leaf is burnt, the tree should be removed. Mealybug insects cause serious damage to lettuce. Approved pesticides should be applied at the recommended doses. Lettuce should not be eaten within 7 days of spraying pesticides. Lettuce leaves can sometimes cause ‘umbrella’ disease. When this disease occurs, the leaves of the plants bend and the apex of the leaves get burnt. In this case, the affected plants must be destroyed. However, it is possible to get relief from this disease by purifying the seeds and soil.
Care should be taken immediately after planting the seedlings in the tub. Small birds eat the young leaves and tips of the seedlings, in many cases uprooting the seedlings. In that case, the tub should be gently covered with a thin polythene paper or iron net with two to four holes. Moreover, dry leaves or diseased parts of the plants should be pruned.
Lettuce leaves are ready to be eaten within a month of planting.
Advantages of vegetable cultivation in tub
There are several special benefits of vegetable cultivation in a pot or tub. For example, vegetables growing in a tub can be protected from natural calamities, extreme heat, excess rain, drought, storms, etc. It can be protected from the intrusion of animals and birds by enclosing it with a net. Costs can be reduced by using a variety of unused utensils. Excess seeds, fertilizers, pesticides, etc. are not wasted. Organic fertilizers made by themselves can be used in vegetables. These can be arranged in different parts of the house to enhance the beauty of the house.