You are trimming tree branches in the compound, and your hands are burning because you are getting tired. You realize it is best to get a set of electric pruning shears. Cordless pruning shears are the answer to keeping your productivity high.
But first, what are they?
What Are Pruning Shears?
Pruning shears are scissor-like tools used to snip off branches from plants. There are different types of pruning shears, but our focus today is on cordless pruning shears, as those are the most effective option.
Here are the best cordless pruning shears.
Best Cordless Pruning Shears
Buy on Amazon
1) Scotts Rechargeable Power Pruner
- Electric pruning shears powered by a 7.2-volt 2Ah high-capacity built-in lithium-ion battery with...
- Electric tree pruner with a dual-pull safety trigger that is easy to use
- Comfortable electric shear designed to reduce stress and fatigue from your hands
- Lightweight and compact cordless cutter with a cushioned grip for easy trimming
- Planet friendly cordless electric branch cutter with a 2-year warranty
The 7.2 built-in battery in the Scotts pruner does a great job of pruning branches just as fast as I want it to. The dual-pull safety trigger makes Scotts one of the safest tools in my toolbox.
Image Source: americanlawnmower.com
Scotts has an exceptionally ergonomic design that is easy to handle and use. The grip on the pruner is cushioned for comfort, keeping me working for longer.
2) Dragro Electric Pruning Shears
- 【Efficient Cutting&Strong Power】- DRAGRO Professional electric cordless pruning shears is forged...
- 【Long Life Rechargeable Lithium Batteries】- The electric shears has 2 pack 21V, 2Ah rechargeable...
- 【Safety Switch】- Electric branch cutter built in safety switch, when you turn on the power...
- 【Efficient Portable】- Cordless pruner handle fits ergonomic design,shockproof and anti-slip,you...
- 【Package Include & Warranty】- Electric tree trimmer x1, Battery Pack x2, Power Adapter...
Dragro has strong carbon steel and a power cut, all I need when pruning in the yard. With rechargeable and replaceable lithium batteries, my workflow is not interfered with at any point.
Image Source: whizz.co.ke
The trigger safety switch makes the shears safe around my kids, and I am never worried about anyone getting hurt at any point.
The Dragro shears are portable, and I can easily bring them anywhere.
3) KOMOK Pruning Shears
- 【VERY SHARP & STRONG POWER】The KOMOK professional cordless pruning shears blade is forged from...
- 【HELPER FOR ARTHRITIS & LIGHTWEIGHT】The cordless pruning shears body weight of about 1.54...
- 【LARGE CAPACITY BATTERY & CORDLESS DESIGN】 This cordless battery pruner has 2PCS 2AH...
- 【QUICK TRIMMING & NO DAMAGE TO THE BRANCHES】 The electric pruner can cut branches with a maximum...
- [ERGONOMIC ANTI-SLIP GRIP] Ergonomically engineered anti-slip cushioned long handle grip hand...
KOMOK has an LED, which makes it instantly stand out from other brands. The shears are lightweight and easy to handle, making them great for long-term use.
Image Source: petespatioandgarden.com
The pruning shears have an anti-slip grip, making them a safe option, especially when working from a height. The grip is further cushioned for comfort. The shears are sharp and efficient to use on tough branches.
4) KOHAN Cordless Pruning Shears
- ✔ Extra Sharp & Intelligent Display: Top SK5 alloy blade, extra sharp, durable, and easy to cut 1...
- ✔ Long Working Time & Fast Charge: 2 pcs 10.8V rechargeable 2Ah lithium batteries, long battery...
- ✔ Safety Charger & Planet-friendly battery: KOHAM is the only powered pruner with a charger that...
- ✔ Portable & Ergonomic Handle: Compact design with good material make users operate it flexibly in...
- ✔ Wide Range Uses & Save Time & Effortless: KOHAM electric pruning shears solves the problem of a...
KOHAM gives me up to 7 hours of working time, which is more than enough for me to prune the branches in my yard. The durable pruner has an intelligent LED showing the power and the number of cuts, helping me estimate how long the shears will perform.
Image Source: pinterest.com
KOHAM has a fast-charging battery, giving me only a short wait before I resume pruning. Furthermore, the battery in the pruner is replaceable, and I do not have to wait until one is done charging.
The pruner has an ergonomic handle and a convenient size for portability.
5) SWANSOFT Pruners
- 1 inch cutting diameter meet your different trimming work
- 2pcs 2Ah rechargeable lithium batteries support 6-8 hours working time
- Multipule simultaneous charger for 2 batteries, save time
- Equipped with SK5 blade, make this cordless pruning shears very sharp and durable
- We always stand behind our product, please feel free to let us know if any issue
SWANSOFT is one of my favorite trimmers because of its efficiency and ease of use. The trimmer saves me time with its high-power batteries that can carry me through for up to eight hours.
Image Source: m.swansoft.com
I enjoy using SWANSOFT because I can charge one battery as one is in use. The pruner has sharp blades that can cut through any plant's thin or thick branches.
Pruning Shears Buying Guide
Image Source: justpuregardening.com
What should you look at for the pruning shears to perform as expected?
a) Ease of Use
There is normally a lot of work to do when pruning, even when you use the right pruning steps. If a set of shears is not working as well as it should, you might waste time and energy. A tool is an item that should make work easier, and shears are no exception.
Since cordless pruning shears have a power source attached to the body, they tend to be heavier than normal. Weight is a big deal when working with handheld tools, affecting your efficiency and safety.
If shears are heavy, you might get exhausted faster than when using a light option.
The price of a tool is one of the buying points for most people. Shears are no exception, as you have to spend within your means.
An ergonomically designed tool is easier and safer than just one that is not too comfortable to hold. Since you have to hold the shears in your hands to use them, the better they fit in your hands, the faster you will get the work done.
e) Branch Diameter
What branches will you be cutting using the shears? If the shears are meant for slightly thinner branches, you cannot use them on thick branches, which may be a bit limiting. Depending on the work you will be doing with the shears, it is better to buy shears for slightly larger branches than the branches you need to cut.
f) Battery Life
How long the battery lasts on the cordless pruning shears you use will determine how much work you can do. Shears with a long-lasting battery life will get more work done than those you must keep charging.
The blades’ materials greatly impact how long the shears will last and how easily they can cut through branches. High-carbon steel is a great material on a blade as it is strong and not susceptible to rusting compared to other metals. The steel can stay sharp for longer and get the job done as though it were a new blade.
How easy is it to charge the cordless pruning shears, and what are the available plug options? For instance, if the shears have a three-pin plug, you will need a specific outlet. There are shears whose chargers require an adapter to fit into your electrical outlets. It is better to know how the shears charge beforehand; otherwise, you might end up with a set of non-functioning shears.
i) Safety Lock
Safety always comes first when using different gardening tools, and there are a lot of situations that simple parts like the safety lock can help avoid. If you have kids running around, you need a safety switch and lock on most of your tools. The safety lock is not meant for just kids, as you need to stay safe too.
j) Trigger Type
Since you are not using hand strength when shearing, the shears use a trigger to get the blades to cut through branches. Most triggers are two-finger triggers. The trigger should be easy to press when working with the shears. A difficult trigger to use will make the shears feel like manual shears.
Some shears come with an adapter that makes them longer. However, the original length of the shears has a huge effect on your workflow. If the shears are too short, the handling is more comfortable than a long set of shears. However, you might be unable to get to the branches further away.
If the shears are lengthy, you can access branches further away. However, longer shears are heavier and more tedious to use than their shorter counterparts.
Advantages of Cordless Pruning Shears
Image Source: opereviews.com
i) Ease of Use
Cordless pruning shears can easily cut through the toughest branches without you doing too much work. When using a set of manual shears, the pulling action can be a bit tasking. Cordless shears are easy to use, even for anyone new to gardening.
ii) More Efficient
You will get more work done when using a pair of electric pruning shears than when using manual shears. Cordless shears work without you using too much energy, making them the more efficient choice.
Sometimes precision is key, especially when grafting or trimming. If you want a professional look once you are done using the shears, a set of cordless pruning shears is an essential item in your toolbox.
You can use cordless pruning shears anywhere without being tethered to a power source. Unlike the corded electric pruning shears, you can use the cordless option to work deep in the farm or yard.
v) Zero Fatigue
Fatigue is the one thing everyone dreads when working in the yard. The cordless pruning shears do reduce fatigue by a significant margin.
Disadvantages of Cordless Pruning Shears
Once you press the trigger, the electric pruning shears will cut whatever is in between the blades, including your fingers sometimes. Most shears have a safety lock and more safety features to avoid such accidents. However, accidents do happen.
When using shears, or any other tool, it is better to use safety gloves for working with tools.
Since the shears are battery-powered, there is a need for more maintenance compared to manual shears. If there is a problem with the electronic part of the shears, your work is affected.
You may need to take your set of shears for a checkup once every while, which can be costly.
Electric pruners are more expensive compared to manual shears. The accessories that come alongside the shears make them more costly too. Once purchased, there is the cost of maintenance that you have to deal with once every while. It is generally more expensive to own electric pruning shears.
4) Charging Time
Once the battery-powered tool runs flat, you have to stop your work and charge the batteries. If the batteries are replaceable, you must get extra batteries for the trimming tool, which comes at an extra cost.
Because of the batteries, the cordless pruning shears tend to be heavier than their counterparts. This makes it a bit more difficult to use over longer periods. Luckily, the shears are efficient, and you would not need to use them for long periods. Different brands are pushing for a lightweight design like the shears I mentioned above.
How to Maintain Cordless Pruning Shears
Image Source: walmart.com
- Any tool used in the garden should be sharp if it has a blade.
- If the pruning shears are meant for a given diameter of branches, it is best to use them as intended instead of trying to chop down a whole tree using shears.
- Keep the shears dry without exposing them to moisture, which might give them a short lifespan.
- If you want the shears to keep doing the pruning tasks properly, you have to clean them to keep them sharp and avoid rust from forming on the surface(both Electric and manual).
- Change batteries if the ones in the shears have stayed for long.
- You must ensure the batteries are always charged.
- There are a set of conditions under which batteries should be kept, and you should adhere to this if you want the batteries to last.
- Lubricate the tool as it has moving parts that friction could spoil over time.
Safety Precautions When Using Cordless Pruning Shears
Image Source: kebtek.shop
- Avoid working in the rain
- Use safety gloves when handling the shears
- Ensure the shears have a safety lock
- Avoid overcharging shears
- Use the shears for the recommended capacity and branch diameter
- No one should be under the ladder when you are working with shears on top of the ladder
- Wear protective eye-glasses when using the shears
- Only prune the intended materials, e.g., branches. Do not cut other materials, such as plastic or wires. Stick to plants
- Do not use the shears at night
- Use the recommended battery for the shears, and do not use a battery for an extended period.
Cordless trimmers increase workflow with less energy spent, and getting one in your toolbox is an absolute win. There are many other pruning shear options, but the cordless ones are my favorite.
Featured Image Source: sucagroup.com