A weed eater, also known as a string trimmer, a weed whip, weed whacker, line trimmer, or whipper snipper, is one of the most important appliances for taking care of your garden. However, before you begin finding the best lightweight weed eater, you need to understand the type that matches your need.
If you're looking for a lightweight string machine, you might be forced to lean towards the electric option because most gas-powered trimmers are much heavier. However, corded and cordless weed eaters may have a similar or the same weight, so the choice depends on your preferences and needs.
Hopefully, this straightforward will assist you in finding the best lightweight string trimmer to match your needs and preferences. Below you will find the best lightweight weed eaters, their pros and cons, as well as some factors you need to consider before buying a string trimmer.
- 1 5 Best Lightweight Weed Eaters
- 1.1 1. Worx WG163.9 20V Power Share GT 3.0 12" String Trimmer/ Edger
- 1.2 2. Black+Decker LST300 Weed Eater/ String Trimmer
- 1.3 3. Toro 51480 Corded 14-Inch Electric Trimmer/Edger
- 1.4 4. Makita XRU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer/ Edger
- 1.5 5. Remington RM25C 25cc 2-Cycle 16-Inch Curved Shaft Gas String Trimmer
- 2 Why Do You Need a Lightweight Weed Eater?
- 3 Lightweight Vs. Heavy-Duty Weed Eater; Which One is Better?
- 4 What Do You Consider Before Buying the Best Lightweight Weed Eater?
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Weed Eaters
5 Best Lightweight Weed Eaters
- Convert trimmer easily to an edger in seconds
- Innovative Command Feed spool system for instant line feeding
- Adjustable handle for maximum comfort and control
- Telescopic shaft adjusts to user's height and posture
- 90 Degree tilting shaft orients the cutting head for the sloped and hard-to-reach areas
The Worx WG163.9 20V Power Share GT 3.0 12" String Trimmer is one of the best-priced weed eaters as well as one of the best-performing models in the market today. It features a combination of an edger and weed eater, giving you a good value for money,
It is quite lightweight with a weight of approximately 5 pounds and comes with a rechargeable battery with long battery life. Although the 12-inch cutting width is not the largest available, it is decent enough to meet the needs of most homeowners.
The model features an innovative command feed spool system that provides instant line feeding, an adjustable handle for maximum control, and a 90-degree tilting shaft for hard-to-reach areas. The telescopic shaft also adjusts to match the user's height.
2. Black+Decker LST300 Weed Eater/ String Trimmer
- 20-volt Lithium Ion battery pack for 33% more run time
- The PowerDrive Transmission delivers more power from the motor to the cutting string so you can get...
- Automatic Feed Spool ensures continuous work without bumping. Line diameter: 0.065 inches
- 2-in-1 trim or edge - easily converts from trimmer to edger in seconds
- Compatible with 20V max outdoor and power tools
The Black+Decker LST300 String Trimmer comes with an attractive price tag and also high-quality parts. It is built with Black & Decker’s innovative power pack system that enhances its performance with dual uses, including an edger and trimmer.
As one of the best weed eaters, the ergonomics of the unit is surprisingly great, with a comfortable plastic molded grip and a well-balanced design. In addition, it only weighs 5.7 pounds with an easy assemble where you will only be needed to clip the handle to the main body and pop the guard on.
The Black+Decker LST300 String Trimmer has a good rechargeable battery that provides about 30 minutes of battery life. If you need longer cutting times, you might have to consider the higher-priced models. Despite this, it is a perfect budget tool for a small to medium size garden.
3. Toro 51480 Corded 14-Inch Electric Trimmer/Edger
- Corded 14-inch electric trimmer/edger with a powerful 5 amp motor
- Extra-wide 14-inch dual-line cutting head gets the job done faster; auto-feed trim line
- One-step walk-behind edging--switch from a trimmer to an edger in seconds
- Telescoping shaft and adjustable assist handle provide extended reach
- Measures approximately 11 by 14 by 48 inches; 2-year warranty
Using an electric weed eater means that you can always run it without having to worry about recharging the battery. The Toro 51480 Corded 14-Inch Electric Trimmer/Edger offers a reliable combination at a great price.
Plug-in electric whackers are not the best option because of the limited range, and this means you might need to be close enough to an outlet. However, this can always be solved using an extension cable.
The Toro 51480 Corded 14-Inch Electric Trimmer features a wide cutting width and a telescopic shaft that is made of aluminum. It weighs only 6.3 pounds, has a 5 amp powerful motor, auto-feed trim line, and a two in one operation.
4. Makita XRU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer/ Edger
- Makita-built motor delivers 7,800 RPM for faster cutting speed and performance
- Ergonomic design is well balanced with less weight (only 6.4 pounds with battery, sold separately)
- Compact size is ideal for trimming and precise edging
- Telescoping shaft allows the user to adjust the length of the tool from 48-1/2" to 56-1/2" for an...
- Battery and charger sold separately
The Makita XRU02Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless String Trimmer is a battery-powered weed eater that has very little vibration or noise and requires very low maintenance. It weighs at about 6.5 even when the battery is attached and boasts attention to comfortable ergonomics.
Unlike other battery-powered weed eaters, this one is 18V which means it might not be overly powerful. However, the power drive transmission delivers a great amount of power which can work on almost all heavy-duty tasks.
Although the bump feeder may not be as easy to use as auto feeders, they will save you from using too much line. It delivers about 45 minutes of run time, and the battery also charges quite fast. Moreover, the battery indicator will show you how much battery you have left.
5. Remington RM25C 25cc 2-Cycle 16-Inch Curved Shaft Gas String Trimmer
- 25CC GAS ENGINE: QuickStart technology Engine to make pull starts easier.
- CURVED SHAFT: Curved shaft design makes cutting and trimming parts of your lawn more comfortable and...
- DUAL LINE BUMP HEAD: Avoid interrupting your yard job! Simply tap the head on the ground to feed...
- . 095 INCH LINE: Thicker line for more durability and greater control getting those thicker patches...
- 16-INCH CUTTING SWATH: Trims wider sections of tall grass in less time. Spark Plug Gap is 0. 025".
The Remington RM25C 25cc 2-Cycle 16-Inch Curved Shaft Gas String Trimmer is the easiest gas weed eater anyone can use. It is also one of the shortest gas weed eaters in the market, making it a great option for a short person.
Additionally, it is a curved shaft trimmer that helps one cut different angles, and you also get the option of viewing the trimming line and cutting length directly. The dual-line bump head also makes it easy to replace the head and change the trimmer line.
With a 16-inch cutting width, you get a greater reach. It is powered using a 25cc 2 cycle resilient engine that has Quick-Start technology. The unit also comes with a 0.095-inch thick trimmer that helps trim the thicker grass and shrubs with ease.
Why Do You Need a Lightweight Weed Eater?
With the best lightweight weed eater, it becomes much easier to clean up your sidewalks, lawns, garden, flower beds, and driveways. It is a precision cutting tool that cleans up the edges and keeps the poping weeds at bay, making your yard look crisp and clean.
It helps you trim easily without going through a lot of hassle and straining too much. In addition, the right model will help reduce the fatigue on your body, ensuring you're able to complete your tasks, especially if you're going to need to carry it for longer periods of time.
If you're looking for an easy-to-use and compact weed wacker, then a lightweight one is the perfect solution for you. Consequently, you're guaranteed safety because you can maneuver easily and completely control the tool.
Lightweight Vs. Heavy-Duty Weed Eater; Which One is Better?
There are a number of factors that impact the weight of a weed whacker, including the power source, trimming capabilities, and operating time. A lightweight grass trimmer should have a weight of fewer than 12 lbs, and anything above that is considered a heavy-duty trimmer.
While heavy-duty weed whackers may have better trimming capabilities than lightweight models, they are not easy to maneuver and finish up trimming and edging the grass and weeds. If you're looking for better mobility, lightweight string trimmers will get the job done with ease.
What Do You Consider Before Buying the Best Lightweight Weed Eater?
1. Power Source
There are three main sources of power when it comes to weed eaters including;
a). Electric Weed Eaters
Electric trimmer, also known as corded weed trimmer, boasts an uninterrupted power facility. However, they can be a bit hazardous because you need to move around with the power code. As a result, you won't be able to cut through every corner of the yard.
b). Battery Powered Weed Eater
A battery-operated weed whacker, also known as a cordless weed eater, is the most recommended ones, especially for people with big yards. However, you need to be aware that the battery won't last for long and might need recharging. The battery might also add to the weight of the trimmer, making it a bit heavier.
c). Gas Powered Weed Eater
A gas trimmer is considered one of the most powerful weed eaters on the market. Although they provide you a lot more power, the maintenance can cost you a lot of money. If you plan on buying a gas trimmer, you need to consider noise pollution, power, and maintenance costs.
2. Cutting Width
The cutting width of the best weed eaters determines the size of the grass and how fast it can cut within a given time. Ideally, the bigger the cutting width, the faster the cutting capability.
3. Adjustable Length
If the string trimmers are going used by different people in your household, you might want to consider getting one with an adjustable shaft, either curved or straight shaft. This ensures that the shaft can be made either longer or shorter based on the height of the user.
When a weed wacker has an ergonomic design, it helps you control the equipment. For this reason, you need to ensure that it has an ergonomic handle and adjustable shaft for comfort and ease of use. In addition, a cordless string trimmer is also known to have a design that is impressive.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Weed Eaters
1. What is the Best Weed Eater for a Woman?
Any woman out there will enjoy using the Worx WG163.9 20V Power Share GT 3.0 12" String Trimmer. It features a two in one operation and is easy to convert to an edger. It comes with 20 Volt lithium-ion batteries to power the trimmer and a 12-inch cutting width that ensures you're using very little effort.
2. Is a Straight or Curved Weed Eater Better?
Straight weeds eaters offer better control and stability, making them easier to use. They are made for homeowners with smaller yards. On the other hand, curved weed eaters are more powerful and are designed for more intensive uses. Therefore, they are considered better for large gardens or areas with a lot of grass.
3. What is the lightest-weight battery-operated weed eater?
The lightest battery-operated weed eater is the Black and Decker LST300 20 volt Weed, Wacker/ Grass trimmer, weighing at about 5 pounds or 2.59 kg. It is powered by a great 20 Volt battery and an amazing innovative power pack system for amazing performance.
4. How Do You Maintain a Weed Trimmer?
First, ensure that the debris and weed are always removed from your tool after usage. Second, for models that have a removable battery, you can remove it for faster cooling. Third, it is also important to lubricate the shaft to achieve smooth trimming. Lastly, it would help if you stored it in a safe, well-ventilated, and dry place.
5. What is the Best Type of Weed Eater for Long and Thick Weeds?
Gas trimmers are known to be more powerful than electric or battery-powered types. This makes them a great option for cutting thick and long weeds. For an electric tool, you want to ensure that it has a high voltage to be able to cut through the tough weeds. However, you might want to consider a hedge trimmer for weeds that have extra thick and tough stems.