Best Guide on How to use a lawn sweeper in 12 steps
How to use a lawn sweeper: A lawn sweeper also is known as a leaf sweeper or garden sweeper is a part of a lawn care unit that is pushed or pulled across the lawn to pick up leaves, grasses, clippings, and other debris from your yard.
It very easy to use and any novice can operate it handily. If you have a large yard or lawn and you may dislike cleaning your yard, it is the best choice for you to use a lawn sweeper since it saves your hours of time and energy. It is very effective to clean your lawn properly and faster than raking and it needs less energy to operate rather than raking.
When spring comes you need to prepare a plan for working some additional tasks in your lawn. The first one is you need to remove all leaves and other debris from your lawn. Leaves become dry and die in winter, and after winter when spring comes you need to remove all your lawn debris. The fallen leaves and other debris remains in the lawn damages your lawn grass moreover it can create bare spots on your lawn. So, to collect these fallen dry leaves or debris, you desperately need a lawn sweeper to implement your plan and to lessen your working time.
Types of lawn sweeper
There are different types of lawn sweepers that are available in the local market. But these types largely depend on lawnmower choice. You can find that mainly there are commonly two types of lawn sweepers.
Pull-behind lawn sweeper
It is usually attached and pulled by a lawn vehicle like a lawn tractor or a riding mower. It is particularly useful for a large area of lawn that is attached to a vehicle. The main feature of this sweeper is they are extremely larger than any other type of lawn sweeper. It is normally 40 inches wide and covers a large area at a time and, therefore, collects more leaves or debris than any other type sweeper. This is also effective for the people who don’t have the stamina or the ability to pull or push their tools across their garden.
Push lawn sweeper
It is completely man-powered and is operated manually and pushed by a lawn owner or other persons that are suited to people who have a small lawn and who enjoy performing their work themselves as a form of relaxation. You will have to push your lawn sweeper forth against your desired lawn surface. When you push forth a wheel will generate power and start to enable a machine to brush debris into the bags. It is also very efficient, it does not produce any noise since they don’t have a motor. So, it doesn’t originate from any noise pollution that is very effective for your health.
How does a lawn sweeper work
The working process of a lawn sweeper is very easy. In a lawn sweeper, there is a high velocity of brushes that are fixed with an axle and connected with the sweeper’s rotating wheels. When the wheels of the sweeper start to rotate, it induces the brush to comb through the grass, dislodging leaves or grass clippings or debris and tossing the debris into the sweeper hopper ( also called a bag ). When your hopper becomes full it gives you a signal and then you might make a pile with your collecting materials in a place for making compost or disposal.
When to use a lawn sweeper
Lawn sweeper has a few pieces of equipment that can be used all year round. Here are the most popular uses of lawn sweeper season by season-
Spring: After a cold winter, your lawn leaves debris like sticks and twigs and that is why you need to use a lawn sweeper to remove all debris. You know that early spring is the best time for dethatching your lawn and it leaves a large amount of thatch that’s why you need to use a sweeper. You can also use a lawn sweeper to collect leaves and grass clippings throughout the winter.
Summer: Summer season is the same as spring. You can collect all leaves or grass clippings or debris throughout the summer season.
Fall: Fall is the best time to sweep your lawn because the leaves and pine needles started to fall in this season. So, it is easy for a lawnmower to collect and remove all debris handily. Don’t forget to collect and remove all debris before winter.
Winter: Mainly you can use a lawn sweeper in winter to clean all debris from your lawn after collecting leaves once.
How to use a lawn sweeper
The use of lawn sweeper largely depends on which type or model of lawn sweeper do you want to operate or which model you prefer. Whatever you select any type of lawn sweeper, you have to collect all the big debris before operations. Medium size debris is also removed from the lawn so that the sweeper can work effectively.
When you use a push lawn sweeper, you have to walk forward to push the sweeper by using your body weight. Some models also have a motor for extra power. One the other hand, if you use a pull-behind sweeper you have to attach your sweeper to the back of your lawn vehicle. When your vehicle moves forward the sweeper becomes active to work to pick up all debris from the surface. There are a few tricks that I am going to tell you below that is suited to any type of lawn sweeper.
1.Get protection: For the first thing, you have to bear in mind your safety. You can wear leather gloves to protect your hands from thorns or sharp objects.
2. Remove all large particles: You must remove all large particles before operating your sweeper because lawn sweeper will remove small twigs, branches, grass clippings, or leaves but don’t sweep large particles like rocks, branches, or other large particles.
3. Mow your lawn: Mow your lawn before every time use of your lawn sweeper as you normally mowed before. This will help you to sweep all as the lawn sweeper works better in mowed grass since the grass is similar in height.
4. Adjust the brush: It is the most essential thing to adjust the brush at the same height as your lawn grass. If you face any problem adjusting the brush move it forward or backward until the brushes touch the grass, look under the sweeper, and move it.
5. Check all the parts: The major components of your sweeper should always check like wheels, brushes, the hopper, and the chute. If you find any faults, you must fix it if possible or order another one from manufacturers and get a professional to fix the new parts.
6. Start from one corner: You should start sweeping from one corner of your yard. Once you finish your work in one direction, then you have to start from the sideways direction. Walk at medium speed or drive your lawn vehicles at a medium speed. In some cases, the speed of your vehicles largely depends on different types of lawn and debris. So, an examination will execute to find the speed that works best for your situation.
7. Experiment with brush height: Many of the lawn sweepers prefer to operate the machine for adjusting the brush height. Fix the brush height correctly in relation to the height of your lawn, significantly increase the amount of debris picked up. The brushes should settle half an inch below the tip of grass.
8. Avoid high speed over an uneven surface: You must avoid the high speed of your machine on the surface of your lawn where it is very much uneven. It may damage your lawn sweeper very badly.
9. Empty the hopper regularly: When your hopper becomes full of leaves or debris it gives you a signal then you have to make it empty and put your debris in a corner of your yard to make the piles of compost. If you don’t do this it may prolong your work for a long time.
10. Mulch first then sweep: It is very important that you must follow mulching first (i.e. chopping, cutting, shredding) before sweeping, this will make your work very easy and effective.
11. Drive straight: When you use a pull-behind lawn sweeper, you must drive your tractor or other riding lawn vehicles, drive straight as much as possible otherwise the wheels of the sweeper might lock.
12. Cleaning your lawn sweeper: It is not the fact that how often you use your lawn sweeper, you should clean it thoroughly after every time use of it. First, you have to start cleaning from the hopper and the chute as the build-up debris can make rust and jam.
How often should you sweep your lawn?
You have to sweep your lawn when you just mowed it and there remains a lot of debris. You should avoid mowing and sweeping when it’s wet, which can damage your tools. Wait until your lawn becomes dry. By doing this you can save your time and energy and after pile your debris it can create a huge compost for your lawn.
To make your lawn healthy and green it is very crucial to choose the best tools to maintain your lawn. Cleaning your lawn is very important to make it manicured looking for a gardener or a lawnmower and lawn sweeper can make your work very easy and within a short time that can save your time.