If you have accidentally cut way too many hedge trimmer cords in your DIY landscaping duties, it to time you got a cordless hedge trimmer. It works the same way as a corded or electric hedge trimmer but is easier to use when you don't have to work around the extension cord.
Most cordless hedge trimmers are battery-powered and easy to recharge, requiring less than two hours to charge fully. They offer at least one hour of run-time which allows you to tidy your small bushes without stress.
We have rounded up these five models as the best trimmers you need for your simple yard work. Read on to find which one suits you best.
- 0.1 1. BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 0.2 2. DEWALT DCHT820B Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 0.3 3. WORX WG261 20V 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 0.4 4. Ryobi 22-Inch 18V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 0.5 5. EGO Power+ HT2400 24-Inch 56V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 1 How to Buy The Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer
1. BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 40V MAX Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- Powerful 40V Lithium Ion battery of the cordless hedge trimmer delivers power and run-time to...
- 24 inch dual-action blades of the battery powered hedge trimmer cut branches fast with less...
- Trimmers for plants have extended reach blades with a 3/4 inch cut capacity trim more in less time
- Up to 6000 sq ft of actual hedges trimmed per charge
- Wrap-around front handle provides comfort and control in vertical and horizontal trimming...
This tool kit from Black and Decker comes with a powerful 40 lithium-ion battery that recharges in as short a time as one hour. It stays powered for at least an hour before you start to notice the blades slowing down. It also comes with a charge indicator that shows how much power you have left.
The trimmer weighs seven pounds, making it lightweight for all people. Additionally, it comes with an easy-to-grip wraparound handle that improves your control and comfort so you can trim bushes way taller than you. The tool also comes with a full-length trigger and a soft cushioned grip to make it easy to work with.
The LHT2436 comes with a 24-inch hardened steel cutting blade. The hardened steel reduces vibrations by over 40%. Additionally, it also makes the cutting blade rust-free, so you won't have to worry about trimming or shaping bushes in the morning or after it rains. It is a dual-action cutting blade that works with a 3/4 inch cutting diameter.
When you buy this hedge trimmer, the affordable package comes with the trimmer, the battery, and the charger. It is ideal for light trimming and comes with a 2-year warranty from Black and Decker.
2. DEWALT DCHT820B Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- Powerful high output motor of the cordless hedge trimmer is designed for cuts up to 3/4-inch thick
- The battery powered hedge trimmer has 22-inch laser cut, hooked-tooth blade design
- Trimmers for plants have high capacity 5.0Ah Lithium Ion battery
- Compact and lightweight design
- Part of the 20V MAX* system of tools
The Dewalt trimmer is a powerful tool to own for your DIY landscaping. It is quite affordable, and the package also includes a charger and 5.o Ah battery. It weighs 11.5 pounds which is a little on the higher side; it could cause some arm fatigue to some people when used for extended periods.
The trimmer also comes with a 22-inch hooked-tooth steel blade that offers a dual-action performance on branches that are 3/4 inches thick. The hooked-tooth design improves the performance of this hedge trimmer to provide precise cuts at 2800 cutting strokes per minute.
The 5.Ah battery is ideal when you have a lot more trimming and shaping to do outdoors; it can run up to three or four hours on a single charge. As a 20V Max* battery, it is compatible with other DeWalt tools within the same voltage.
However, this hedge trimmer comes with a plastic body that extends to the grip and wraparound handle. This, combined with the weight, could produce a little arm and muscle fatigue for new users.
3. WORX WG261 20V 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- Lightweight but powerful: Ergonomic perfection: Tough yet comfortable to use, and long enough to...
- 22” cutting reach: Enough length for flat tops and long, even sides. Yet still nimble enough to...
- Grab N’ Go: The D-grip handle lets you hold it from any angle and cut from any position that’s...
- Cuts twice as nice: The dual-action blades cut once, then catches that branch again on the way back,...
- Do it all with the same battery: Do it all with WORX PowerShare, the only cordless tool platform...
This Worx uses a 20V battery that works with the brand's PowerShare program, which lets you use the same battery for different compatible Worx tools. It has a 22-inch hardened steel cutting blade that guarantees minimal vibrations to let you work outdoors for longer periods.
It comes with an ergonomic D-grip so you can easily trim from different angles. Additionally, it also comes with a wraparound handle that gives you more control, so you can even hoist the tool up to trim above-shoulder shrubs.
The 22-inch blade is a dual-action blade that cuts soft branches with a 3/4 inch diameter. The blade trimmer is very efficient; it cuts every single branch twice so you can move on to the next area fast. As a cordless hedge trimmer, you also don't have to keep doubling back to avoid cutting the extension cord by mistake.
The battery can power the tool for an hour when it charges fully to give you enough time to manicure all your yard hedges. The package comes with a hedge trimmer, a battery, a charger, and a blade sheath.
4. Ryobi 22-Inch 18V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 22 in. dual-action blades for extended reach and reduced vibration
- Up to 3/4 in. cutting capacity
- Rotating handle for trimming at all angles
- Только инструмент: батарея и зарядное устройство не...
This Ryobi hedge trimmer is your best buy when you are new to DIY landscaping. It comes with a 22-inch dual-action cutting blade that cleanly cuts your unwanted branches in a 3/4 cutting diameter.
It is powered by an 18V lithium-ion battery that is not included in the package. However, it is quite easy to purchase separately or from a store near you. It is a cordless trimmer that is most suited for soft vegetation in your yard.
This model comes with a rotatable rear handle which is very helpful if you are trimming for the first time. It makes it easy to navigate strange angles as all you need to do is rotate the handle to the most ergonomic position.
The trimmer also comes with a wraparound handle for increased control and a hedge sweep trimmer that removes clippings to give you a better view of what you need to trim. The trimmer is reasonably priced and even comes with a 3-year warranty from Ryobi.
5. EGO Power+ HT2400 24-Inch 56V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- 24 in. dual-action, hardened steel reciprocating blades
- 3/4 in. cut capacity
- Compatible with all EGO POWER+ Arc Lithium Batteries
- Weather-resistant construction
- Electronic brake stops blade action quickly for improved control
This power hedge trimmer is what you need to trim thick bushes. It is powered by a 56V 2.5Ah lithium-ion battery to slide through branches as thick as one inch. The battery, which is not included in the package, is compatible with other Ego Power + Arc equipment.
It sports a 24-inch hardened steel cutting blade with 3/4inch gaps to offer dual-action cutting at a speed of 3000 strokes per minute. The hardened steel reduces vibrations by 40%, so you will experience no muscle fatigue as you clear your hedges. The material is also weather and rust-resistant.
It is an easy-to-use tool that gets the job done in the least amount of time possible. It also features an electronic brake that stops blade action when you release the trigger.
The cordless trimmer comes with a 5-year limited warranty from the manufacturer, but you will need to buy the battery and charger separately.
How to Buy The Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Before buying any cordless hedge trimmers, these are the most vital factors you should consider to ensure you get the best deal.
a) Battery Life
Most cordless hedge trimmers use batteries for power. When buying, ensure the battery your model uses can last at least one hour before you need to recharge. It would be best to pick a model with lithium-ion batteries as these are more powerful. In some instances, you could also invest in another set of batteries so you can enjoy extended trimming sessions.
The money you set aside to buy your hedge trimmer can dictate how good the tool can be. When buying a cordless hedge trimmer, you will find that different features such as powerful batteries, blade length, extensions, and chargers contribute to higher prices.
c) Blade length
When deciding the best blade length for your trimmer, you can first understand how much trimming you need to do and how high or wide your hedges are. When you understand your hedge requirements, you will choose a trimmer that will clean the branches in the least time possible.
Blade lengths range anywhere between 13 inches to 40 inches. However, since cordless hedge trimmers are designed for light work, an 18-26 inch blade will be enough for most yard work.
d) Blade type
You can choose from two blade types;
- Single action or dual action blades
- The space between blade teeth, also called blade gap or cutting diameter
A single-action blade trimmer is ideal for you if you are new to DIY trimming. The blades will only have a single layer of blade teeth that are very efficient in clearing bushes. However, a dual-action hedge trimmer comes with two layers of blade teeth on each side. They cut through vegetation much faster and more cleanly.
The blade gap also dictates the kind of vegetation a hedge trimmer can cut. Most cordless hedge trimmers have small gaps and are intended for home use. The gap mostly ranges between 3/8 and 3/4 inches. In some instances, you can also find trimmers with a cutting diameter of one inch and above.
As you buy your hedge trimmer, understand how you can keep them in good shape, so they last you a long time. One of the areas that need constant maintenance is the blade.
One way to ensure your blades are effective is by keeping them sharp, lubricated, and away from a lot of moisture that could lead to rusting.
When you shop for a cordless trimmer, ensure you can handle the weight while trimming. Most of these tools are very lightweight and do not even require a shoulder harness. However, understand that a lighter trimmer would mean it also comes with a shorter blade.
Ensure you also understand how much the trimmer will weigh once you install the batteries to know how long you can work without muscle fatigue.
The best cordless hedge trimmers come with various safety features. These include extensions that help you reach further branches while also keeping the sharp blades farther away from you.
Other hedge trimmers have a stop blade activity immediately after you release the trigger to prevent serious accidents. It would be best to also look for hedge trimmers with a front handle shield that keeps away clippings and debris.
Other than inbuilt features, you could also increase your safety by wearing gloves and safety eyeglasses. Additionally, you can also wear earplugs if your model makes too much noise when trimming.
Also, understanding that the hedge trimmer is a very delicate tool, it is best to store it safely and out of reach for small children.